My name is Anton. I’m an experienced business-oriented Software Engineer 💻 with Engineering Management experience. I’m focused on helping companies overcome the barriers between engineers and business and move forward predictably by leveraging SRE and adopting a DevOps culture.
- Your software development process is unpredictable, and you don’t trust your developers.
- The engineering team spends a lot of time on code reviews and testing, but the process does not give the desired result.
- Your services and applications are unstable and constantly crashing, and it’s hard for developers to figure out root outage causes.
- Each release always breaks something. The process is stressful, and it takes a long time to restore the data and roll back the changes has been made.
- You are afraid to release on Fridays and weekends. Your developers don’t understand how their software works in a production environment.
- You want to move faster, but you are unable to release on a daily basis.
- Your developers, QA engineers and system administrators are constantly fighting with each other.
- You do not have high-quality technical documentation and important knowledge about your system is stored in engineers heads.
I have been doing software engineering since 2002 and doing it on a commercial basis since 2005. In 2009, I graduated “Norilsk Industrial Institute” as a specialist in “Automation of Technological Processes and Factories” (in Metallurgy). For about 5 years I was working on Norilsk Nickel as an Automation Engineer. I used to work with really complex technological equipment in dangerous metallurgical production. This experience helped me to establish my own view on the problems of modern software development and find approaches how to solve them.
My main professional principles are:
- Find root problem/constraint and get rid of it.
- Automate routine. Everything which can be easy automated should be automated. Computers make repeatable work better than people.
- Maintainability and reliability it’s the most important parts of the product. So well-designed monitoring is must have.
- Refactoring always makes sense from the product perspective. Because it reduces tech-dept and improve maintainability.
- You can’t know everything, so ask people, listen to what they say and which problems do they have. Try to understand them.
- Premature optimization is the root of all evil. (c) Donald Knuth. I just agree with him.
- Go as a main development language.
- Docker as a containerization system for local development.
- Kubernetes as a container orchestration system in a ** production ** environment.
- Prometheus as a monitoring system.
- Grafana as an observability platform.
- HashiCorp Vault for managing secrets and sensitive data.
- Google Cloud Platform as the main cloud platform.
- GitHub и GitLab as a Project management and DevOps platform.
I was born in Ukraine. Despite the fact I used to live both in Ukraine and Russia, most of my childhood and teenage years I spent far from the north in Norilsk / Russia. In 2014, I moved from Norilsk to the European part of Russia.
In spare time, I like freeride skiing and snowboarding. At summer, I’m riding street-trial bike. I also like photography, so you can try to find my Instagram.